"When you change the way you view birth,
the way you birth will change.”
-Marie F. Mongan
What is HypnoBirthing™?
HypnoBirthing™ – The Mongan Method is as much a philosophy as it is a technique. The concept of HypnoBirthing™ is not new, but rather a “rebirth” of the philosophy of birthing as it existed thousands of years ago and as it was recaptured in the work of Dr. Grantly Dick-Read, an English obstetrician, who, in the 1920s, was one of the first to forward the concept of natural birthing. The method teaches you that, in the absence of fear and tension, or special medical circumstances, severe pain does not have to be an accompaniment of labor.
You will gain an understanding of how the birthing muscles work in perfect harmony–as they were designed to–when your body is sufficiently relaxed and you trust birth. You will learn how to achieve this kind of relaxation, free of the resistance that fear creates, and you will learn to use your natural birthing instincts for a calm, serene and comfortable birth.
When you have your baby with HypnoBirthing™, you will not be in a trance or asleep. What you will experience is similar to the daydreaming, or focusing, that occurs when you are engrossed in a book or a movie or staring into a fire.
You will be conversant and in good spirits–totally relaxed, but fully in control. Awake throughout, you will be aware of your body’s surges and your baby’s progress; but because you will have trained yourself to reach complete relaxation, you will be able to determine the degree and the manner in which you will feel the surges. You will experience birthing in an atmosphere of calm relaxation, free of the fear that prevents the muscles of your body from functioning as nature intended them to. In this calm state, your body’s natural relaxant, endorphins, replaces the stress hormones that constrict and cause pain.
Trained HypnoBirthing™ educators are successfully teaching women and their birthing companions to trust birth and release all fear and limiting thoughts. HypnoBirthing®practitioners can be found in 46 countries throughout the world.
The HypnoBirthing™ Premise
For most of their lives, women have been inundated with the negative stories of other women’s birth experiences. Everyone, from their mothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, friends, and even strangers, wants to tell them the horrors of giving birth. They have been conditioned to believe that excruciating pain is associated with labor; and because of this, women today hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth. This extreme fear causes their bodies to become tense, and that tension prohibits their bodies from easily performing a normal physiological function. The result is exactly what they feared most–long, painful birthing or unnecessary intervention.
People who are drawn to HypnoBirthing™ have long been searching for a way to give birth confidently and as calmly, safely, and gently as possible, whether they have chosen to birth in a hospital, a birthing center, or at home. Until HypnoBirthing™, this kind of birthing almost seemed unattainable for the general population.
Through a very simple program of self-hypnosis and education, healthy, low-risk women, as well as women who need medical assistance because of special circumstances, learn to dismiss fear-based stories, misinformation, and birthing myths; and they are helped to see birth as normal. They learn to trust that their bodies know how to bring their babies into the world in the calm and gentle way that Nature intended.
(Premise from the HypnoBirthing™ UK Website)
Why choose HypnoBirthing™- The Mongan Method? Why choose a 5 session course in a classroom?
Self-hypnosis and deep relaxation are very effective tools. For you to be able to use them when you are in labour is an acquired skill that needs to be learned gradually in stages and practiced in between sessions. Look at it like most things you do in life, there needs to be continuous practice. It doesn't happen all at once. And self-hypnosis and relaxation are things that require practice. Not only the practice element but think about doing a course all in one day or over a weekend, how much will you retain? Attending the class is of the utmost importance because a lot of people will be working through fears and stresses and the support will be there for you in these classes and be encouraging you in the best direction for you. Classes are taken over a 5 week period to ensure that you have the time to develop the conditioned responses that make HypnoBirthing™ The Mongan Method so successful. There is no shortcut, and this is why we teach our course over 5 sessions. However, some classes that teach over a full weekend while still will be beneficial, the true HypnoBirthing™ way (the original way) is based on these 5 sessions.
What You Will Learn in HypnoBirthing™ Classes:
Unit 1: Building A Positive Expectancy
• Introduction to the remarkable HypnoBirthing™ philosophy
• The History of Women and Birthing
• Why and how you can have an easier, more comfortable, and safer birthing
• How Nature perfectly designed women’s bodies to birth
• How to assist, rather than resist, your natural birthing instincts
• The vocabulary for calm and gentle birthing.
• Visualizing gentle births by viewing beautiful birthing videos
Unit 2: Falling in Love with Your Baby/Preparing Mind & Body
• The remarkable mind of your newborn baby—Prenatal bonding techniques
• Rapid and instant self-relaxation techniques and deepening techniques
• Breathing techniques for labor and birthing
• Hypnotic relaxation and visualization
• Selecting the right care provider
• The Birth companion’s role in birthing
• Preparing your body for birthing with massage and toning
Unit 3: Getting Ready to Welcome your Baby
• Preparing Birth Preference Sheets
• Preparing the Body for Birthing
• Light Touch Labor Massage
• Your body working for and with you
• Avoiding artificial induction and achieving a natural start to labor
• Releasing negative emotions, fears and limiting thoughts.
Unit 4: An overview of Birthing – A Labor of Love
• Onset of Labor – Thinning and Opening Phase
• Birth explained simply
• Settling in at the hospital or birthing center
• Preparing for home birth – or baby’s choice of birth
• As labor moves along – passing time through labor
• Hallmarks of labor
• If labor rests or slows – Companion’s prompts and activities
• As labor advances – birthing with your baby
• Protecting the natural birthing experience
• Birth rehearsal imagery
Unit 5: Birth – Breathing Love – Bringing Life
• Moving into birthing
• Positions for descent and birthing
• Breathing baby down to birth
• Baby moves to the breast
• Family bonding with your baby